The Athena Sustainable Materials Institute has completed over 300 ISO-compliant LCI or LCA studies. See our Publications page for publically-available reports. Recent highlights:
- First industry-wide LCI of PVC roofing in N. America, for the Chemical Fabrics and Film Association.
- LCA study of gypsum wallboard, for the Gypsum Association.
- LCA for numerous Canadian wood products, for FPInnovations.
- LCA of Canadian and US precast products, with Morrison Hershfield.
- LCA of metal building components and systems, for the Metal Buildings Manufacturers Association.
- Update of wood product LCA data for use in EPDs, for the Canadian Wood Council.
- LCA for various plastic products from petroleum and bio-based resins.
- Creation of the US LCI Database, in cooperation with the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Preservation versus new construction LCA, with Morrison Hershfield.
- LCA and LCCA of numerous green technology building retrofits, with Steven Winter Associates and the Rocky Mountain Institute.
- LCA for roadways.
- LCA for synthetic turf and natural grass.
LCA Peer Reviews
The Athena Institute is frequently engaged for critical peer reviews of LCA studies. Recent examples:
- Life Cycle Assessment of Fiberglass Insulation Products, North American Insulation Manufacturers Association (NAIMA).
- Life Cycle Assessment of Canada’s Polymer Bank Notes and Cotton Paper Bank Notes, Bank of Canada.
- Life Cycle Assessment of CENTRI 3 Formawall® Dimension Series® and Two Comparable Multi-Component Wall Assemblies, CENTRIA.
- A Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Canadian Hardwood Flooring with Alternative Flooring Types, FPInnovations.
- Life Cycle Assessment of U.S. Industry Average Kraft Paperboard Products, Paperboard Packaging Alliance a joint initiative of the American Forestry & Paper Association and Paperboard Packaging Council.
- Life Cycle Assessment of Rock & Slag Insulation Products, The North American Insulation Manufacturers Association (NAIMA).
- ICA Life Cycle Inventory Project – Methodology Report, International Copper Association (ICA).
- Life Cycle Assessment of Industry-Average Corrugated Product, Corrugated Packaging Alliance a joint initiative of the American Forest & Paper Association, Fibre Box Association, Association of Independent Corrugated Converters.
- Comparative LCA of Reusable Plastic and Display Ready Corrugated Boxes, Fibre Box Association
- Life Cycle Assessment of Metal Construction Association Production Processes, Metal Roof and Wall Panel Products.
- Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of US Ductile Iron Pipe and PVC Pipe, Ductile Iron Pipe Research Association.
- Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Paper Towels made of Virgin and Recycled Fibres, Cascades Tissue Group.
The Athena Institute provides services in EPD development, EPD verification, and PCR development. Recent examples:
- Development of PCR for gypsum wallboard
- EPD verification for Central concrete mixes
- EPD verification for Armstrong resilient flooring
- EPD verification for CeraTech’s Ekomaxx concrete binder
- Development of PCR for N. American wood products and chaired the review panel, for FPInnovations.
- Third-party review – UL Environment Product Category Rules: Insulated Metal Panels & Metal Composite Panels and Metal Cladding Panels.
- Third-party review – UL Environment Product Category Rules: Builders Hardware
- EPD roadmap for the Gypsum Association.
The Athena Institute provides comprehensive carbon analysis. See our Publications page for publically-available reports. Recent examples:
- Various carbon footprints according to different protocols including WRI, PAS 2050 and ISO 14064.
- Carbon calculator for the US National Ready-Mixed Concrete Association, which is used to benchmark operations and provide transparency to customers.
- Carbon footprint for B.C. softwood lumber delivered to Japan, Council of Forest Industries.
- Carbon footprint for Western Red Cedar delivered to the UK according to PAS2050, BC Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Scope 1, 2 and 3 carbon footprints for various confidential clients.
- Carbon calculator for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation International, for Canada’s SuperE houses exported to Europe and Asia.
- Developed Residential EcoCalculator to support APA – the Engineered Wood Association’s Carbon Challenge Design Competition.
Recent examples of the Athena Institute range in LCA-based research projects:
- Life cycle implications of six net-zero energy houses for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
- LCA analysis of Japan’s Woodmiles metric (an import policy tool), BC Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Life Cycle Costing tool for green roofs, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities.
- Energy, carbon and water footprint tool for the Sustainable Plants Initiative of the Canadian Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute.
- Briefing paper on quantity of roofing scrap in Canada and potential uses of this waste under various economic and environmental drivers, for the Canadian Construction Innovation Council.
See our Publications page for publically-available reports.